Breast self exam

For an interactive BSE how-to, visit www. This online tool provides BSE instruction through animation, audio clips and text in both English and Spanish. Just as your period ends or at the same time each month if you do not have periodscheck for any change in the normal look or feel of your breasts. Report any changes to your doctor or nurse.

Breast self exam

The free resource, 3 Steps to Early Detection, can increase your chance of finding breast cancer before it spreads. Tell us where we can send you your copy.

Why it's done

A clinical breast exam is performed by a healthcare professional who is trained to recognize many different types of abnormalities and warning signs.

This in-office exam will most likely be completed by your family physician or gynecologist at your annual exam, whereas your breast self-exam is something every woman should do at once at month at home. You may be asked to raise your arms over your head, let them hang by your sides, or press your hands against your hips.

These postures allow your healthcare provider to look for differences in size or shape between your breasts. The skin covering your breasts is checked for any rash, dimpling, or other abnormal signs.

Your nipples may be checked to see if fluid is expressed when lightly squeezed. A Manual Check for Unusual Texture or Lumps Using the pads of the fingers, your healthcare provider checks your entire breast, underarm, and collarbone area for any lumps or abnormalities.

Breast self exam

It is worth noting that some women have breast tissue that appears to be full of tiny fibrous bumps or ridges throughout the breast tissue, known as fibrocystic breasts.

Overall lumpy tissue is something your provider will want to note but is unrelated to cancer. A suspicious lump —the type your physician is checking for— is generally about the size of a pea before anyone can feel it in the breast tissue.

A change in how the breast or nipple feels

The manual exam is done on one side and then the other. Your healthcare provider will also check the lymph nodes near the breast to see if they are enlarged. An Assessment of Any Suspicious Area If a lump is discovered, your healthcare provider will note its size, shape, and texture.

He or she will also check to see if the lump moves easily. Benign lumps often feel different from cancerous ones, but any lump found will likely need to be examined with further diagnostic measures.

It may be helpful to know that lumps that appear soft, smooth, round, and movable are likely to be either benign tumors or cysts. A lump that is hard and oddly-shaped and feels firmly attached within the breast is more likely to be cancer, but further tests are needed to diagnose the problem.

Materials on this page is courtesy of:Breast self-exam is a convenient, no-cost tool that you can use on a regular basis and at any age. We recommend that all women routinely perform breast self-exams as part of their overall breast cancer screening strategy.

How to do a breast self-exam: The five steps. Each breast contains a network of lymphatic tissue, ~ 90% of which drain into a lymph node group found in the ipsilateral axilla. The remaining 10% drain into the Internal Thoracic nodes, which are located beneath the sternum (not accessible by exam).

Types of Cancer. Breast Cancer – Everything you need to know about the causes, treatments, and prevention. Most people who have breast cancer symptoms and signs will initially notice only one or two, and the presence of these symptoms and signs do not automatically mean that you have breast cancer.

By performing monthly breast self-exams, you will be able to more easily identify any changes in your breast.

Breast Self-Exam: How to Check for Lumps and Other Breast Changes

Breast self-examination (BSE) is a screening method used in an attempt to detect early breast monstermanfilm.com method involves the woman herself looking at and feeling each breast for possible lumps, distortions or swelling.

BSE was once promoted heavily as a means of finding cancer at a more curable stage, but large randomized controlled studies found that it was not effective in preventing death. Breast self-exam (BSE) is a step-by-step approach a woman can use to look at and feel her breasts to check for anything abnormal.

However, BSE isn't recommended as a screening tool for breast cancer.

Breast Health - Breast Self Exam - Komen Greater NYC